Remote Usability Testing
Customers aren’t always conveniently located for usability testing: some may be widely scattered over a vast region, or even in different countries. Traditional lab-based testing for these people would be far too expensive and time-consuming.
However, with just a phone line and Internet access, customers from around the world can participate in remote usability testing. From the comfort of their own homes, people can complete tasks on websites and answer questions about their experience.
Another selling point of remote usability testing: easier recruiting. Without the geographic limitations of lab-based testing, it can be easier to round up people who match key demographics of your target audience.
Starting a test session can be as simple as making a phone call. No more delays or cancelations due to traffic snarls or participants getting lost on the way to the testing facility!
Usability Sciences conducts remote usability tests in its custom-built, state-of-the-art lab.
- We start by working with you to understand your research objectives, identify your target audience and determine which assets will be evaluated by participants (e.g., prototype, live website or application, etc.).
- Your assigned research team will then develop a test plan, which includes the task scenarios and moderator questions that will be used to ensure all necessary feedback is gathered during the test sessions.
- In parallel, Usability Sciences’ in-house recruiting team will screen and schedule participants who meet your target audience.
- One-on-one test sessions (either 60 or 90 minutes long) are conducted over several consecutive days. A link to a screen-sharing online conference is emailed to participants, and the moderator calls participants on the phone at the start of each session. During the test sessions, participants perform defined tasks and are asked questions about what they think about the website or application.
- After testing is complete, the results are analyzed and compiled into a report, which contains actionable recommendations for fixing the observed issues with the website or application.
Testing people remotely is a cost-effective way to cast a wider net for gathering information on your customers’ experiences. This is especially beneficial if your target audience is small and specialized.
With remote testing, you can also avoid the possibility of an unfamiliar lab environment affecting participant behavior or their verbal responses. You get to see how people interact in their own environment.
Remote testing will also help you answer the following questions:
- Is there anything in the website that is unclear or confusing?
- Would users prefer the website to look or behave differently?
- Which features are of highest value to your target customers?
- Are there any features or content missing from the website?
- Are user expectations different than the intended functionality?
Contact us today to learn how we can gather feedback from your customers, wherever they are located.